My husband and I recently participated in The Color Run, Kansas City. I’m sure if you are into running at all, you have probably heard of The Color Run. New race locations for this popular event seem to be popping up everywhere!
As a group, we thought it would be fun to share details about various races we run. I think The Color Run is a great place to start, so here we go…
What is The Color Run?
The Color Run is a 5K known as “The Happiest 5K on the Planet”. Less about skill and more about having fun, this race is all about getting colorful with your friends and fellow runners. At each kilometer of the event, participants will get doused with a powdery corn starch type mixture (safe and all natural). 1K is yellow, 2K is blue, 3k green, 4k pink and at 5K there is a huge color party!
If you plan on doing The Color Run as a serious runner, this might not be the race for you. The Color Run is not a timed event (there are no medals, timers or winners). Many people who are participating in The Color Run do it for fun… in fact, the number of walkers at the race we participated in far outweighed the number of runners. If you are impatient, get easily frustrated, and don’t like crowds, choose another run. Due to the huge popularity of The Color Run, you’ll find that the number of participants is quite large, so having some level of patience as you wait for your wave to be released is key.
With that said, The Color Run is an absolute blast. My husband and I had so much fun taking in all the activity going on around us. Yes it was crowded and no we couldn’t run the whole time because of that, but we had such a great time and the energy of this event was one of a kind.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the colored powder
- Take your iPhone and take lots of pictures and videos! My phone had a normal Cuptakes case on it, and survived just fine. You will want to capture this experience!
- Make it a group event… the more friends you have with you at this run, the more fun you’ll have! It’s one fun, giant party in the end.
- Wear a plain white shirt and clothes you don’t mind getting “colorful”. My pants turned out fine (they were black) but my Notes to Self running socks will never be free of colorThat’s all right…gives them more character.
- If you have any interest in signing up for The Color Run, check their schedule and be ready to register the moment they open. These events sell out really fast!
We loved The Color Run and are glad to have had an experience like this.
I’d love to hear about your experience if you’ve participated in The Color Run before. Share your pictures, stories and experience with The Red Faced Runners!
What do you think? Is The Color Run for you?